Are you interested in helping Ahdaf? We need a volunteer fluent in Arabic and English to help update our application forms. Please e-mail me if you would like volunteer.
Posts Tagged ‘volunteer’
When we founded Ahdaf we realised that we wanted to do more than just help students in need access higher education. We saw that we also had an opportunity to build and strengthen communities: the community is the foundation on which a vibrant and engaged civil society is built.
So we decided that every student Ahdaf supports must do something where they live which helps members of their community. We thought about some of the activities that might be helpful. Here’s a few of them:
- teaching English at a UN school
- helping establish a needlework group
- producing youth group video diaries
- providing computer coaching to children or retraining adults with new skills
- setting up a sports team
- a Nakba history project
- local land use documentation projects
- working with disabled people
- setting up youth theatre programmes
- running play sessions in orphanages
- helping to restore historic or religious buildings
- volunteering at local organisations
- running adult literacy groups
- planting a public garden
We want you to think about the types of activities you can establish, with no cost other than your time and enthusiasm. Strong projects should encourage partnership and relationship building within the local community. What will make a difference where you live?
We’ve looked at many applications over the past few years. The ones that tend to do well usually:
- have a strong community project proposal which is well researched and thought out
- come from applicants in serious financial difficulty
- come from students who have done well at school
- are from young people who have not yet enrolled in a course
Sometimes we have found ourselves offering hints and guidance to students about community work.
One odd thing that we see a lot is that girls tend to make better applications than boys. We don’t know why this is. Also, of all the projects that have been proposed to us so far, not one involved sport. Anyone?
Some factors that may not help an application:
- you have already started university
- you are studying medicine or a course that takes more than four years
- your family is able to pay for brothers and sisters to go to university
Ahdaf does not provide financial support for students who have already gained a degree.
Here is the application form. Please complete it with as much information as possible. Do not leave any questions unanswered. Incomplete forms will be rejected.